Monday, March 30, 2009

Top Ten Writing Advice Tips

Top Ten Writing Advice Tips:


1. The more you write, the more you improve. (Hey, that’s better than “Practice makes perfect.” Isn’t it?)


2. If your writing stinks right now, that only means you have that much more room for improvement. (Let’s face it, if you’re perfect now, the most you can dream of is to stay the same for the rest of your life.)


3. Even if you hate your lit teacher, he or she is teaching you information you must have in order to be a good writer. (Learn it now or you’ll be forced to learn it later.)


4. Learn to live with rejection. It will make you tougher and will make the eventual acceptance all that sweeter. (Trust me, you get used to it.)


5. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Even an inquisitive idiot is better than a speechless blob.


6. It’s not too soon to begin learning about the publishing industry. Try submitting something. (Even if you’re not successful, well, see my comment about rejection.)


7. Enjoy what you do. Writing is tremendously time consuming. If it ain’t fun for you, forget it.


8. A unique voice is your #1 asset, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't listen to good advice. (And please note: being bizarre only caters to others just as strange.)


9. You cannot proofread your own stuff. Neither can your computer. I mean it.


10. Negative feedback is more valuable than positive feedback. (It’s usually more honest and you can use it to get even better.)

1 comment:

Robin Prater said...

I loved this entry. I too blog at robinsnest66.blogspot.com I write daily and have improved from my first blog. I so want to praise the Lord through my writings.Some authors have given me great advice,some really didn't want to help. I want to learn so much and I think your blog will help me,come visit and tell me what you think.I just love how you open up your heart and share what writing is all about,the heart.Blessings