I had a wonderful time today visiting Mrs. Bristow's 3rd grade class and Ms. Grube's & Ms. Novello's 4th grade class.
They asked EXCELLENT questions and were a FANTASTIC audience. BRAVO!!
I told them where I got my ideas:
- My brain just works that way.
- I just want to know the whole story. So I make it up.
- History whispers to me all the time.
- Nothing is more interesting than real life.
- I've got a good imagination.
- Something I see will inspire me.
- God sends me a story.
- Something I read makes me want to write more.
- If you can tell the story, you might as well write it down.
I also gave them some writing tips:
- If it's boring to write about, it's probably boring to read about.
- Everyone hates to edit. Stop whining and just do it.
- Don't try to copy someone else. Develope your own style.
- I'm really sorry to tell you this. Practice really does make perfect.
- Learn to value feedback. It will only help you get better.
Do you remember what the TMIT were in writing?
The Two Most Important Things:
- An original voice.
- Good editing.