Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Wonderful Thoughts of Others: Rev. Barbara Brown Taylor

Besides being an author of words, I'm a collector of words. I have a huge book (handwritten because things tend to sink in better that way for me), which is a collection of profound thoughts, Bible verses, lyrics and poetry … anything that when I read it makes my soul sigh in delight or my heart jump with enthusiasm. I've had fun posting some of the shorter thoughts on places like Facebook (http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1140819384&ref=profile) and Twitter (http://twitter.com/faithinspired) but some that I treasure are just too long.

So this is the profound thoughts of Reverend Barbara Brown Taylor. Her website is listed below. Enjoy!!

God does not care … whether I am happy or not. What God cares about, with all the power of God’s holy being, is the quality of my life … not just the continuation of my breath and the health of my cells – but the quality of my life, the scope of my life, the heft and zest of my life … fear of death always turns into fear of life, into a stingy, cautious way of living that is not really living at all … to follow Jesus means going beyond the limits of my own comfort and safety. It means receiving our lives as gifts instead of guarding them as … possessions.

http://www.barbarabrowntaylor.com/

PLEASE NOTE: I do not want to offend anyone whom I quote. I do this with the utmost respect and honor and claim absolutely no credit. All I have done is read, handwrite and now retype their wonderful thoughts for you to benefit from. The quoted ideas expressed in this blog are not, in all cases, exact quotations but rather obtained from secondary sources, primarily print media. In every case, the author has made every effort to maintain the speaker’s original intent. While every effort was made to ensure the accuracy of these sources, the accuracy cannot be guaranteed. For additions, deletions, corrections, or clarifications please contact Susan McGeown at susanmcgeown@faithinspiredbooks.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome quote. The part where it says "to follow Jesus means going beyond the limits of my own comfort and safety...."

Ohhh, that hit home with me. It's true.....

Thanks for the post.